Published by Global Data on 25th May 2018 | Ref: 1107266 | This Report Is In Stock
The UK Underwear Market 2018 - 2023
"The UK Underwear Market 2018 - 2023", report offers comprehensive insight and analysis of the underwear market (including forecasts up to 2023), the major players, the main trends, and consumer attitudes. It provides in-depth analysis of the following: the hot issues impacting the market, strategies for success, market sizes and forecasts, retailer profiles, retailer market shares, consumer data and future outlook. The report focuses on men's and women's underwear, nightwear and hosiery. Consumer data is based on our 2018 UK clothing survey, using a panel of 5,000 nationally representative consumers.
The UK underwear market is forecast to reach £5.8bn in 2018, equating to 16% of the 16+ clothing market. While the sector has been protected to a degree given how essential the category is, the market has been driven predominantly by inflation since 2017, with volumes in decline. Volumes are however forecast to recover out to 2023, as growing consumer appetite for regular newness and more fashionable underwear, especially in lingerie, will drive spending.
- 58.1% of UK clothing shoppers have bought underwear in the past year; and women’s underwear is the most shopped category, aided by wider choice and greater trend-led ranges.
- The online underwear market is forecast to grow by over 40% over the next five years, equating to an additional £530m in spend.
- Despite losing 1.5 percentage points off its market share between 2013 and 2018, M&S remains market leader.
Reasons to buy
- Using our five year forecasts to 2023, learn which subcategories in the underwear market will be the fastest performing to ensure more focus and investment in these winning product areas.
- Understand how drivers of underwear purchases, such as price, comfort and fit, change in importance among different demographics in order to maximise sales potential.
- Use our in-depth analysis of the challenges faced by market leader M&S in order to understand how to steal its shoppers and market share.
- Discover which segments of the market are forecast to prosper out to 2023 (value, midmarket or premium), and understand which retailers are best placed to take advantage.
- Utilise our online forecasts to 2023 to consider how to exploit your online potential and decide which age groups to target via the channel.
Table of Contents
THE HOT ISSUES
Market drivers and inhibitors in underwear
Main issues in underwear:
Greater fashion influence provides growth opportunity for underwear retailers
Comfort and fit of primary importance
Overcoming online challenges vital as shoppers embrace the channel
Shoppers demand more choice in plus size underwear
Pressure on the midmarket as value and premium retailers set to make gains
Strategies for success
WHAT PEOPLE BUY
The sector at a glance
The sector in context
Overall sector size
Overall sector growth
Category growth in underwear
Category dynamics: women's underwear
Category growth in women's underwear
Category dynamics: men's underwear
Category growth in men's underwear
Spend per head
Spend per head - women's underwear
Spend per head - men's underwear
WHERE PEOPLE BUY
Channels of distribution
Marks & Spencer
HOW & WHY PEOPLE SHOP
Who shops and where they are located
Which categories they buy
Which items they buy
Channels used by consumers
Reasons for online purchases
Frequency of shopping
What drives underwear purchases
Views on underwear purchasing
Gifting in underwear
What is included
1107266 | VR0148SR
Download our FREE report summary PDF. It contains all the information on these web pages, plus a Proforma Invoice request form, should you need it to satisfy your company's internal order procedures.
Orders are processed immediately and you will be notified of the despatch date on confirmation of your order.
Buy now using our secure payment system.