Published by Global Data on 31st October 2018 | Ref: 1106992 | This Report Is In Stock
Software Defined Networks - Thematic Research
The explosion of available bandwidth, the emergence of cloud computing, and dramatic year-on-year improvements in the price-to-performance ratios for commodity hardware have all combined to ensure that technology functionality previously only achievable using specialist hardware can now be delivered using a combination of general-purpose computing hardware and software.
In the world of software defined everything (SDE), the details of the underlying hardware become irrelevant and the focus shifts to a virtualized software layer instead. In this world, we no longer think of servers, or even central processing units (CPUs). Instead we describe the resources that our application requires, and the environment manages the rest. Software defined networks are a part of this new world.
SDN adoption will be driven by demand from both enterprises and service providers for greater levels of automation and flexibility. While much of the early SDN growth has been driven by its adoption within data centers, from 2022 the SD-WAN market will begin to show significant growth as SDN breaks out of the data center and into the wide area network. SDN has its greatest appeal in the domain of hyperscale computing users. The major cloud providers have the most to gain both economically and operationally from SDN, but the promise of greater flexibility and higher levels of automation mean it is appealing to any organization with a significant investment in networking.
- This report analyzes how software defined networking technology will impact the world.
- It identifies the companies most impacted by the SDN theme and where they sit in the wider value chain.
- It highlights the main trends impacting the SDN theme over the next 12 to 24 months.
- It provides an overview of the SDN market, competitor analysis, information on mergers and acquisitions, a timeline to understand the evolution of this emerging technology, and the SDN value chain.
- It also evaluates the key benefits of using this technology.
Reasons to buy
- One of the key drivers in SDN is a battle royal between the software tribe (developers and cloud providers) and the hardware tribe (network equipment vendors and telecom providers).
- This report identifies the winners and losers in this struggle, in particular highlighting how SDN will impact three broad groups: cloud providers; communications service providers; and network equipment vendors.
Table of Contents
Technology trends 5
Macroeconomic trends 6
Regulatory trends 7
INDUSTRY ANALYSIS 8
SDN and the age of software defined everything 8
SDN promises to lower the cost and increase the agility of networking 8
Market size and growth forecasts 10
Competitive Analysis 12
Mergers and acquisitions 15
VALUE CHAIN 18
Network equipment vendors 18
Communications service providers 18
Cloud providers 19
More innovative 19
COMPANIES SECTION 20
Public companies 20
Private companies 24
TECHNOLOGY BRIEFING 28
SDN is the biggest change in networking technology for 40 years 28
Whoever controls the software controls the network and all the value in it 28
How it works 28
SECTOR SCORECARDS 30
Cloud providers 30
Who’s who 30
Thematic screen 31
Valuation screen 32
Risk screen 33
Network equipment vendors 34
Who’s who 34
Thematic screen 35
Valuation screen 36
Risk screen 37
Communications service providers 38
Who’s who 38
Thematic screen 39
Valuation screen 40
Risk screen 41
FURTHER READING 45
APPENDIX: OUR “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY 46
1106992 | GDTMT-TR-S188
Download our FREE report summary PDF. It contains all the information on these web pages, plus a Proforma Invoice request form, should you need it to satisfy your company's internal order procedures.
Orders are processed immediately and you will be notified of the despatch date on confirmation of your order.
Buy now using our secure payment system.